OPICA offers many services and programs.
OPICA is offering all support groups and individual counseling through telehealth by telephone or Zoom.
Adult Day Program
As the first Adult Day Program and Counseling Center in Los Angeles, OPICA has been serving adults challenged with memory loss and their families in the West Los Angeles area for more than 42 years. OPICA creates a structured, yet socially engaging, nurturing and fun environment that enables members to avoid isolation, to experience an overall improved quality of life, and to maintain dignity, meaning, and a sense of self-worth.
OPICA provides much needed respite and peace of mind for CAREgivers. Our supportive programs and counseling services help guide families with a loved one challenged by memory loss along their unique journeys, relieving stress while providing hope. OPICA provides the community at large with a place to turn when needing information and/or guidance regarding memory loss-related conditions and we are committed to collaborative cooperation with health care providers and other social service agencies.
OPICA’s highly experienced staff and diverse set of volunteers are dedicated, hands-on, and focused on the comfort and well-being of OPICA’s members in its unique Stoner Park setting.
Day Program activities include:
- Art Therapy, Painting, Expressive Drawing
- Yoga For The Brain ™
- Reminiscence Memories Groups
- Low impact Tai Chi and Aerobics
- Mindfulness Relaxation Exercises
- Live Music and Dancing
- Mindful Walks in the Adjacent Park
- Current Events Discussions
- Sensory Activities
For the monthly calendar of virtual day program activities, click here.
For more information regarding the Adult Day Program Zoom activities, contact Sara Kaye – firstname.lastname@example.org , Director of Family Services. (310) 478-0226
Early Stage Memory Loss
- OPICA Brain Train for Early-Stage Memory Loss. OPICA’s Brain Train was specifically designed for individuals experiencing early-stage memory loss. A weekly three-hour program, OPICA’s Brain Train is delivered by a professional multi-disciplinary team. Program components are designed to help individuals find healthy ways to cope with their emotions, learn techniques to support memory, enhance creativity and provide opportunities for friendship. OPICA offers a free assessment to determine if this program is appropriate for you.
Signs of early-stage memory loss include:
- Memory changes
- Changes in executive function
- Difficulty with language and ability to communicate
- Impaired judgment
- Confusion with time or place
- Difficulty with visual-spatial relations
- Withdrawal from work or social activities
- Personality changes
OPICA’s Brain Train in person is offered:
- Mondays 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Wednesdays 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Mondays 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Thursdays 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- For more information about Virtual Brain Train please contact Jyoti email@example.com
Are you or someone you know caring for a loved one with memory problems? OPICA’s support groups and supportive services are open to the public and offered five days a week. All our counseling is conducted by licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and supervised trainees/associates, on-site at OPICA unless otherwise indicated below.
Support groups impart information and comfort, and facilitate discussion in a warm and open atmosphere as individuals endeavor to find their own balance. Sessions focus on strategies for emotional support, stress reduction, lifestyle changes, relationships, depression and crisis management. The groups meet once a week and are limited to eight people.
OPICA’s Support Groups are offered virtually via ZOOM:
Spousal Support Group
Tuesday 10:00 am – 11:30 am Tuesday 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
Wednesday 10:15 am – 11:45 am Thursday 10:30 am – 12:00 pm Thursday 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm
Adult Children Support Group
Monday 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm Tuesday 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Wednesday 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
*Enrollment requires initial phone consultation with group facilitator. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (310) 478-0226
For information on Individual/Family Counseling, email email@example.com
As a Counseling Center and MFT training site, OPICA is able to offer Individual, couples and family counseling at various levels of cost. All our counseling is conducted by licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and/or supervised MFT associates or Trainees, on-site at OPICA or via Telehealth. is available for those in need of more focused help. Our licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and supervised Associates and Trainees are available to support those learning to cope with emotional and/or relational challenges such as depression, grief and life transitions in addition to the changes associated with early memory loss and related chronic illnesses. We support clients towards expanding options, and creating and achieving meaningful goals.
MFT Associate Therapists
The OPICA Associate program supervises registered Associate Marriage and Family therapists who can see clients under clinical supervision. Associates have graduated from a Masters level counseling program and are gaining hours towards licensure. The fee for OPICA Associates is $75 per session.
The OPICA MFT Training program enrolls masters level graduate students in clinical psychology. These students can see clients under clinical supervision. Trainees are currently enrolled in a Masters level counseling program and are gaining hours towards graduation and licensure. The fee for OPICA Trainees is $30 per session.
Licensed Therapists (LMFT, LCSW)
OPICA affiliated therapists are available for individual counseling. These therapists are experienced in the area of aging and memory loss. Licensed Therapists set their own fees (typically between $150- $200 per session) and perform services independent from OPICA.
Cheryl Beck Benjamin, LMFT (Clinical Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Gillian Scott, LMFT (Clinical Supervisor) email@example.com
Janie Grauman, LCSW (Clinical Supervisor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Dean, LMFT (Clinical Supervisor) email@example.com
Anne Galbraith, LMFT (Clinical Supervisor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Powerful Tools for CAREgivers
Learn how to Care for yourself while Caring for a loved one. You will learn techniques to:
- Reduce personal stress
- Communicate your needs effectively
- Manage emotions while coping with difficult situations
- Use best approaches for comforting and gaining compliance
The class is six consecutive Thursdays – Look for updates when next class begins.
Online via Zoom – 10:00 am – 11:30 am
Instructor: Carol Hahn, MSN, RN
This class is offered free of charge, made possible by the generous support of OPICA donors. We do suggest a $25 donation to defray the cost of the book.
RSVP to (310) 374-3426, ext 120
Mindfulness-Based Art Workshop for Caregivers
This workshop is currently suspended. OPICA will resume this program when in-person services are renewed.
This virtual workshop, is intended for family caregivers and people in related caregiving professions. The focus of the workshop is designed to foster self-care practices, respite, and enjoyment for participants.
The workshop will integrate creative self-expression and basic mindfulness practices with an emphasis on loving-kindness, and self-compassion.
- Learn to cultivate loving-kindness, self-compassion, and therefore, well-being.
- Discover the role of mindfulness practices as a pathway to stress reduction and compassion for self and others.
- Enjoy using art materials with a focus on color, movement, symbolism, and textures.
- No artistic talent needed!
Cheryl Beck-Benjamin, Director of Programs and Counseling.
The workshop begins with a brief lecture on the topic.
Space is limited to 12 participants per workshop, register early to guarantee your spot.
The fee for this program is $25 per workshop. CURRENTLY SUSPENDED