This 8-hour class provides health care professionals with fundamental information on dementia and dementia care. The participant will foster sensitivity and respect for dementia client, thus helping to enhance the quality of life of dementia clients.
This class is the required seminar for those pursuing Certified Dementia Practitioners certification and who qualify through the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners. to see if you qualify, click here, or just come for the education.
Class Objectives: After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- Define Alzheimer’s disease and other related dementia;
- Discuss the current diagnosis and treatment of dementia;
- Explore 3 communication techniques to utilize with a dementia client;
- Develop 3 sensitive approaches for assisting dementia clients with activities of daily living;
- Identify 4 common causes of aggressive, repetitive, and sundowning behaviors in older adults;
- Describe 4 behavioral/care interventions that may be used to prevent, reduce, or eliminate difficult care situations;
- Examine challenges related to caregiver stress;
- Utilize caregiver stress reduction technique;s
- Develop a wandering preparedness team;
- Recognize issues of sexuality and the dementia client;
- Explore end of life care of a dementia client.
Instructor: Carol Hahn, MSN, RN, CDP, CADDCT
Carol is a registered nurse with over 30 years of varied health and education experience. She has a Masters of Science in Nursing Degree with a clinical focus in Gerontology. Carol has a variety of nursing experience in hospitals, universities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult day care centers. She is a Certified Dementia Practitioner through the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners.
When: Saturday, January 12, 2019
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
OPICA Adult Day Program and Counseling Center
11759 Missouri Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90025
For more information, contact Carol Hahn
Please note: Class size is limited
Cost: $185 ($35 for OPICA interns and trainees). Fee includes participant handout notebook. Cancellation fee is $75 if notification less than 72 hours before class