Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Care Seminar
OPICA is proud to provide the opportunity to become a Certified Dementia Practitioner through the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners. We prioritize and inspire compassionate dementia support because we know how quality care enhances the quality of life for dementia clients.
This 8-hour workshop for health care professionals provides fundamental instruction on dementia and dementia care. This is the required seminar for professionals in the field pursuing CDP® certification. Please visit the NCCDP website at www.nccdp.org to learn more about the certification process or feel welcome to join us just for the education.
Date: Saturday, January 21, 2017
Time: 8:30am – 5:00 PM
Location: OPICA Adult Day Program & Counseling Center, 11759 Missouri Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Understand Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Understand best practice for diagnosis and treatment of dementia
- Explore best communication techniques to utilize with dementia clients
- Explore the ways sensitivity, empathy and compassion impact interactions with dementia clients
- Understand best interventions to prevent, reduce, or eliminate difficult care situations
- Explore common approaches to activities of daily living for dementia clients
- Understand the causes of aggressive, repetitiveness and sundowning behaviors in older adults
- Examine challenges related to caregiver stress and best caregiver stress reduction techniques
- Develop a wandering preparedness team
- Explore issues of sexuality for the dementia clients
- Explore end-of-life care for a dementia clients
Cost: $185 per participant ($35 for OPICA interns/trainees) including workbook and handouts.
Instructor: Carol Hahn, MSN, RN, CDP, CADDCT holds a Master’s of Science in Nursing with a clinical focus in Gerontology. She has more than 30 years’ experience delivering varied health education curriculum at hospitals, universities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult day care centers. She is a Certified Dementia Practitioner through the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners.
Registration deadline is Wednesday, January 18, 2017 Class size is limited. A cancellation fee of $75 does apply when notification is received at least 72 hours before class. All other cancellations are non-refundable.
Carol Hahn will contact you to confirm your registration.